Internship Opening for Spring Computer Science Initiatives: ICT4D – Offline Digital Library and Content
Inveneo is accepting applications for a spring internship position to assist in creating an Offline Digital Library Project targeted for small Pacific island schools.
Deadline March 15th, 2014
The principal development impacts are anticipated to be:
1) Empowerment of the rural schools and youth through increased and affordable access to information and communication tools
2) Developed leadership and skills in ICT4D
2015 marks the second year of Inveneo’s internship program focused on ICT and the emerging regions of the world. Inveneo is unique in its scope and approach to connecting those who need it most, with ICT4D work carried out in over 30 countries including in Oceania, Haiti, and across Sub-Saharan Africa.
The main work would be focused on improvement to the Rachel Pi server to meet project needs in the Pacific Islands, specifically in the Philippines, Micronesia, and Vanuatu.
Key areas of focus are:
- Porting Rachel Pi software (linux based) from Raspberry Pi hardware to Banana Pi hardware
- Web-based interface for Rachel Pi to add new content
- Program for easy creation of micro SD card with new content by non-computer science people
- Captive portal feature added to Rachel Pi server OS/Web interface
The position will be based in Inveneo’s San Francisco, CA office. The goal will be about four hours per week at the Inveneo office in San Francisco.
A strong academic record with a minimum of 3.0 GPA
Proven ability in Linux and web server skills
Ability to work effectively independently
To apply for this internship, please send a cover letter and resume/CV to Inveneo’s Media Manager Jana Melpolder, and include “Spring Internship” in the subject line.
Selected candidates will be contacted by email to schedule a phone interview.
Deadline for applications is March 15, 2014. Good luck!